Shortly before 11pm on Wednesday 6 May 2020, police officers observed a vehicle being driven unsafely at high speed on Chester Road, in Stretford.
The vehicle was stopped and the driver, Desmond Ziggy Mombeyarara (12/12/1985) of Cornbrook Park Road, Old Trafford was arrested and subsequently charged with the following:
- Two counts of resisting a constable in the execution of their duty
- One count of driving at excess speed
- One count of not having vehicle insurance
- Once count of being unfit to drive through drink
- One count of failing without reasonable excuse to co-operate with a preliminary test
- One count of failing to stop when required to do so
- One count of unnecessary travel.
He was remanded in custody to appear before Manchester Magistrates Court today Friday 8 May 2020.
During the arrest a taser was deployed by a Greater Manchester Police Officer.
The matter has been reviewed by the GMP Professional Standards Branch and we have voluntarily referred this matter to the Independent Office for Police Conduct, to ensure transparency and independence in terms of reviewing the circumstances of the arrest.
Superintendent Mark Kenny, commented:
“We are aware of public concern regarding this arrest and I want to reassure the public that this matter is being reviewed and treated seriously. In addition we have voluntarily referred this matter to the IOPC.”