Halton Borough Council is warning of a scam designed to get your personal data and banking details, pretending you have won a prize from Google.
See pic of email received by a consumer in Halton. Similar ones are circulating in the area.
The email has all the hallmarks of a scam such as:
1. You’ve won something you have never entered and for no particular special reason
2. Enticement of receiving £950,000
3. Requiring all your personal details
4. Requiring your bank details
5. They don’t want you to tell anyone, this is because it’s a scam
Halton Borough Council’s Executive Board Member for Trading Standards, Cllr Dave Cargill, said: ” If you or somebody you know has been caught out by a scam or fraud please contact one of our specialist officers, Linda or Sue on 0151 511 8785 or 0151 511 8775, who are already working with people in Halton who have lost thousands of pounds to scams.”
If you need advice on anything else please contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline or 0808 223 1133. A useful website is https://www.friendsagainstscams.org.uk/