Halton’s libraries will begin to reopen from Tuesday 7 July. The proposed reopening dates are as follows:
Halton Lea: Tuesday 7 July.
Widnes: Wednesday 14 July.
Both libraries will operate reduced opening hours of Monday to Saturday, 11am to 2pm.
Runcorn and Ditton libraries will reopen at a later date to be confirmed.
A range of measures will be in place to keep library customers and staff safe:
- There will be a one way system in buildings and numbers will be limited in with government guidelines.
- Library users will be asked to queue outside and will then be asked to sanitize hands on entering. There will also be sanitizer on all floors of the library buildings.
- Social distancing will be in place throughout libraries, including at self-service points and during any interactions with staff, who will still be on hand to help.
- Tables and seating have been removed to ensure visitors’ safety.
- Safe queueing at the self-service machines will be assisted by directional signage to show where queues begin. All self-service machines will be wiped regularly.
- Books will be quarantined on return for three days.
- Our customer lifts will be limited to one person, or one family group at a time.
- Disabled toilets will be available on request; baby change facilities will remain closed at this time along with the café at Halton Lea Library.
- Face coverings may be worn at customers’ discretion.
- Under 12s will need to be accompanied by an adult.
Customers will be able to return books, browse and issue books at the self-serve machines.
There will be limited PCs available for essential use. Customers will be able to log on for up-to 60 minutes a day. All PCs will be spaced appropriately to support social distancing.
There is a ‘Grab and Go’ quick choice book selection for those people wanting a quick visit to the library.
Halton Lea Library will also have a ‘Choose and Collect’ service where library staff will select up to 6 books for a customer based on their reading preferences.
Events and activities are currently postponed, however the online activities and workshops that have run throughout the pandemic, will continue. This will include the popular Summer Reading Challenge throughout the summer for children to take part in along with online story-times.
Library customers can continue to access free e-books and e-audio with the BorrowBox app and free newspapers and magazines with the PressReader app.
Visit the Halton Libraries website: https://library.haltonbc.info/